6 days ago
“Radiating Sun” in St. Johann Nepomuk Church, Munich, Germany, 1746.
The church is in fact better known as the Asam Church because it was designed, decorated and financed by the Asam brothers. Egid Quirin was in charge of the sculptures and stucco decorations and Cosmas Damian of the architecture and paintings, including his masterpiece, the fresco in the ceiling of the main nave (see swipes). Both brothers studied in Italy under the great Baroque master Leonardo Bernini. This small church is a superb example of the exuberant Bavarian Baroque architecture of the 18th century.
Golden rays of light radiate from the sun located in the painted ceiling of the entry space, under the choir. The space is separated from the main nave by an elaborate wrought iron gate.
The church has seven confessionals and the altar is visible from inside the neighboring building where Egid Quirin lived. These unusual design features reflect the idiosyncratic approach of the two wealthy brothers, who conceived the church as a private chapel for their own salvation. Neighbors protested and eventually the church was open to public services. Photographed by @lifeviarosa Rosa Rivera on July 2, 2008.